Make sure your child reaches their full potential by signing up for the Canada Learning Bond

In Chatham-Kent, 28% of eligible children have registered for the Canada Learning Bond - Let’s make it 100%

Is my child eligible?

  1. Born on or after January 1st, 2004

  2. Has a valid Social Insurance Number

  3. Is a resident/citizen of Canada

  4. Is from a family that makes less than $45,916

The Primary Care Giver has to apply for the Canada Learning Bond on behalf of the child.

What is the clb?

The Canada Learning Bond (CLB) is money that the Government of Canada deposits directly into a child's Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) account to help get a head start on saving for their education after high school.

Step 1:

Fill out the application by clicking the button below - it only takes 10 minutes!

  • The information is sent to your financial institution

  • Your financial institution will contact you to set up a meeting

Step 2:

Set a time to meet with a representative from your financial institution to finishing setting up the account

  • Bring your child’s Social Insurance Number

  • Bring your Social Insurance Number and 2 pieces of photo ID

  • Attend your bank to open a no fee, no contribution required RESP

that’s it. its that simple!

Education Savings Week

November 18-22, 2019

More information about this year’s events coming soon!

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the canada learning bond?

The Canada Learning Bond is money that the Government of Canada deposits into a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for a child's education after high school. The total amount the Government deposits can be up to $2,000 - $500 for the first eligible year, and $100 each subsequent year your child is eligible.

what is an RESP?

An RESP is an education savings account set up with a financial institution like a bank, credit union or group plan dealer. The money in the RESP will grow tax free until it can be used for expenses related to your child’s studies in:

  • Apprenticeship Programs

  • Universities

  • Trade Schools

  • Colleges

  • CEGEPs

do I have to put in any money to be eligible?

No. Through the Canada Learning Bond, the Government will add money to the RESP for an eligible child every year, even if you do not add any money.

When do I need to apply for the Canada Learning Bond?

From a child’s birth to age 18, a parent may open an RESP in the beneficiary’s name.

Between the ages of 18 and 21, your child may open their own RESP and request the CLB entitlements that they have not received.

For children over 21 years of age, you can not apply for the Canada Learning Bond.

Will the Canada Learning Bond affect my other benefits and tax credits?

Applying for and receiving the Canada Learning Bond will NOT affect any other benefits that you or an eligible child receives.

How long do I have to use this?

35 years. Your child will have 35 years to use any money they receive through the Canada Learning Bond.

NEW - Newborn Registration service

If you are registering a newborn with Service Ontario online, you can choose the “5 in 1” option. This will automatically send only basic and required information to YOUR bank, and they will contact you to set up an appointment to open an RESP account for your child.

Online Newborn Registration can be found HERE.


FAQs for identification to apply

how do I get a social insurance number (SIN)?

Bring proof of permanent residency/citizenship to a Service Canada location (120 Wellington St W, Chatham) - its quick, easy, and you get the SIN immediately

What is proof of permanent residency/citizenship?

These document need to be original - photocopies are not accepted.

Examples of proof of citizenship are:

  • Birth Certificate

  • Canada Passport

Examples of proof of permanent residency:

  • Permanent resident card

I need proof of permanent residency/citizenship

You can order a Birth Certificate (Ontario) online by clicking HERE

You can find information on how to apply for a Canadian Passport HERE

You can find information on how to apply for a Permanent Resident Card HERE


other education grants

Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)

Everyone is eligible to receive the CESG, regardless of income levels. The amount you receive is based on how much you contribute to the RESP each year.

The Federal Government of Canada will match your contributions by 20% of every dollar of the first $2,500 you contribute to your child’s RESP each year, to a maximum of $500 per year.

Example: if you contribute $1000 to your child’s RESP, the Government would contribute $200 (20% of your contribution)

The lifetime maximum the CESG will contribute is $7,200 to any child’s RESP.


Get involved and more information!

Want to get involved and promote the Canada Learning Bond in Chatham-Kent or your own community? Interested in having more information at your finger tips? We have developed a Canada Learning Bond Promotional Toolkit to assist you with spreading the word. Just select one of the following tabs to get started!


Any more questions?


local Canada Learning Bond committee

Logo_PNG_White Background.png